Monday, May 10, 2010

How to Act When You're Unsure of Your Feelings

I'll admit that this isn't my original idea. I first read this idea in a book by CS Lewis. However, I have slightly modified the thought to apply it to your relationship with your spouse / partner.

There are some who are going through a tough time in their relationship, and for what ever reason, aren't sure of their "feelings" toward their partner. Maybe they've been together for a few years and that fresh "new car scent" has worn off. Or maybe they're just going through some weird and funky point in their life. And since they are unsure of their feelings, they don't know how to act towards their partner. As a result, stress is building in the relationship (or it soon will be).

First, it is important to understand that love is not a feeling. Feelings are driven by your emotions which frankly, can change like the wind. Emotions can derail logic and take us off the right path.

Love is a choice, an action, a committment. Love is verb, an action word. In the Bible, Jesus tells us to love our neighbor as ourself. We love ourselves, even though we don't like everything about ourselves. (I'm fat, I don't like my hairline, I wish I was taller, etc).

So how do you act? You demonstrate love. Not sure how you feel? Show love.
Having a bad day? Act lovingly. The more love you show, the more love will grow. (That sounds corny unless you read it with a Motown beat). In other words, your feelings will follow your actions.

Grow love.

Stay in touch -

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment