Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Don't Be a Code-Talker

I suppose that if I was writing a blog about my own pet peeves, this would be one of the first things written. It really ticks me off, regardless if it’s in the home or office, when people don’t say what they mean. Don’t drop hints, or speak in code and expect me to understand what you mean. Particularly on important topics – please, say what you mean. I understand that there is a specific skill set required to do this and if you don’t communicate well, it could lead to some misunderstandings and arguments, so let’s go over a few tips before I get you into trouble.

For this section we’ll use a scenario where a husband and wife are disagreeing over building a deck with a hot tub in their back yard. She wants it, he doesn’t.

Understand your message. Before you can communicate what you are thinking, it’s important for you to understand it yourself. Know why you feel how you do and be prepared to speak in plane, non-offensive language. He might say “I don’t want the deck because it’s going to take up too much of our back yard.” While she might say “I want the deck because it will give us a great looking place to entertain, and how the house looks is really important to me.” Both of these are valid points and communicate clearly what each person wants.

More communications 101 tomorrow.

Stay in touch -

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment