Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Want to Be Better at It

Powerful, fantastic words. "I want to be better at it."
I know I'm not the best partner but, I want to be better at it.
I know there are parts of our relationship that I don't handle well but, I want to be better.
I know there are times I don't give you everything you need but, I want to.

If you're having difficulty in your relationship, a good way to try and turn things around is to express this sentiment. But be ready because these words are a call to action...for yourself!

First, you have to mean it. You truly have to want to be better in the relationship. If you aren't willing to work at improving, then this phrase isn't for you. But be warned that your relationship isn't going to improve until you're ready to put in your fair share of effort.

Second, you are probably going to hear (several) suggestions on how to improve. "I just need you to..." DO NOT take this as a negative thing. You are being given the raw materials that you need to build the solution. Listen to her!

Here's the structure of how this works:
You say you want to improve.
She tells you what she needs.
You do it.

Sorry if I over simplified.

Finally, we don't improve at things that don't have our focus. Tiger Woods didn't....ok....bad example....Phil Mickelson didn't become a great golfer by being half interested. Peyton Manning didn't become a great quarterback by being committed half way. It takes practice, but the good news is, you can do it.

Stay in touch -

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment