Friday, March 19, 2010

Don't Be Crude

Wrapping up our mini series on being a gentleman, with some tips for how to act in public. Don't be crude.

I know a man who I meet four or five times a year at various functions. For some reason, he says something that makes me cringe virtually every single time I see him. Don’t get me wrong – I am no prude. But this guy doesn’t seem to know how to hold a decent conversation without saying something vulgar, graphic or plain disgusting. And to make it worse – his comments are generally very loud and in public, either at lunch, dinner or in an inappropriate setting. Whether he is trying to be funny or trying to be “manly”, he is coming across as crass, ignorant and low-classed. If these conversations were held in private (and I would suggest away from the lunch / dinner table), it would be less vile and offensive. The setting makes the difference.

Here is another example how you can get away with certain behavior when you are home alone, that just will not fly around company. I was at a friend’s house one night for dinner and my buddy let out a giant fart at the dinner table. He thought it was hilarious. His wife turned beet red and left the table to get “something” from the kitchen. Later the same night he had a huge belch during a card game and she was embarrassed at him again. My friend had a great time. His wife...not so much.

A little class and charm goes a long way in a relationship.

Stay in touch -

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment