Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Outside Pressures

We all face difficult situations that can add pressure to our relationships. Problems at work, financial difficulty, family problems, illness all can wear us down and make us less willing to participate actively in being a good partner.

But it is important to differentiate between the source of your problems and a key resource for getting through them. What I'm saying is simply - don't take your problems out on your partner. Don't bring your problems from work home and dump all over the family. It's just not cool.

Instead, see your partner and your family as your source of comfort and a resource that provides stability and peace. That's what home is all about.

One final thought - try to remain consistent in your relationship no matter what you're going through. For me, I help a lot around the house, but when I'm stressed I tend to let things go. Frankly I'm allowing my problems to control my behavior - in effect bringing them right into my house. I actually have more control over things if I remain consistent.

Stay in touch -

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment